Temporary Closures - Empire State Trail
From time to time, short sections of rail trails and canalway trails are temporarily closed – typically for 4 to 8 weeks or longer – due to construction activities on the trail corridor. Trail closures may be needed during rehabilitation of old deteriorated trail sections, or due to repair of bridges, culverts, or utilities that cross the trail.
Trail users will need to utilize alternate on-road routes to detour around temporary trail closures.
The following Empire State Trail segments currently are closed:
Hudson Valley Section (New York City to Albany)
- Southern Westchester County: Through the fall of 2021, Westchester County is repairing and resurfacing a 6-mile section of the South County Trail from Barney Street in Yonkers north to Route 119 in Elmsford. The trail will generally remain open for public use. However trail users may encounter construction activity requiring single-day closures on short portions of the trail. Bicyclists and hikers may need to detour around temporary closures on adjacent roadways.
- New Paltz, Ulster County: From late July through October 2021, the Open Space Institute is resurfacing a 3.5-mile section of the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail in the Village and Town of New Paltz, from Sojourner Truth Park north to Cragswood Road. The trail will generally remain open for public use. However trail users may encounter construction activity requiring week-day closures on short portions of the trail. Bicyclists and hikers may need to detour around temporary closures on adjacent roadways.
Erie Canalway Trail Section (Buffalo to Albany)
- Macedon, Wayne County: A 0.5-mile trail section from Walworth Road east to Pal-Mac Park is closed due to repairs to the Ganargua Creek Aqueduct. Signage has been installed marking temporary on-road detours for through-trail bicyclists and hikers.
- Utica to Dyke Road, Oneida County: A 3.5-mile trail section from Leland Avenue running east to Dyke Road is closed to through travel until September 2021 due to a county sewer line construction project. A temporary on-road EST route is signed on State Route 5 (aka Herkimer Road).
- Herkimer County: A 5-mile section of the Erie Canalway Trail, from Herkimer Home State Historic Site east to the Montgomery County line at Mindenville, is closed due to the trail's loose gravel surface that is not suitable for bicyclists. Through bicyclists should use a temporary on-road route (west to east) on Finck's Basin Road, Route 5S, River Road, and Fredas Way. New York State is designing a project to address the loose gravel and will reopen the trail when it is suitable for bicycling.
Champlain Valley Section (Albany to Rouses Point)
- Waterford, Saratoga County: In the Village of Waterford, a 1.6-mile trail section from Broad St. (Route 32) running north to Clute Rd/Belles Ln in the Town of Waterford is closed from September 7th through November 2021, due to a construction project to repair and resurface this trail segment. Long distance trail users should follow Route 32 and Route 4 to detour around the closed trail segment.
This page will be periodically updated to identify additional temporary trail closings.