Temporary Closures - Empire State Trail
From time to time, short sections of rail trails and canalway trails are temporarily closed – typically for 4 to 8 weeks or longer – due to construction activities on the trail corridor. Trail closures may be needed during rehabilitation of old deteriorated trail sections, or due to repair of bridges, culverts, or utilities that cross the trail.
Trail users will need to utilize alternate on-road routes to detour around temporary trail closures.
The following Empire State Trail segments currently are closed:
Hudson Valley Section (New York City to Albany)
- Kingston, Ulster County: NYS Parks will be performing work adjacent to the trail in Sojourner Truth State Park beginning April 10. The trail will be closed temporarily for short periods for equipment and vehicle access. Trail users should use caution and watch for flaggers in this area during this time. Work is expected to last through the end of September.
Erie Canalway Trail Section (Buffalo to Albany)
- Macedon, Wayne County: A 0.5-mile trail section from Walworth Road east to Pal-Mac Park is closed due to repairs to the Ganargua Creek Aqueduct. Signage has been installed marking temporary on-road detours for through-trail bicyclists and hikers. Click here to see this section on the map.
- German Flatts, Herkimer County: A one-half-mile section of the Erie Canalway Trail east of South Washington Street will be closed for Canal bank stabilization beginning Monday, February, 27. Trail users may utilize State Bike Route 5S to connect to the trail east and west. The trail is expected to reopen at the end of May. Click Here to see this trail segment.
- Canajoharie, Montgomery County: NYS DOT will close State Route 5S for approximately one month beginning May 16 between Church Street and Thruway Exit 29 for bridge repair. There will be no impacts to the trail however individuals should use caution in this section. Work is expected to be completed mid-June.
- Rotterdam Junction, Schenectady County: National Grid will be performing a powerline project between Scrafford Ln. and River Rd./Rt. 5s through summer of 2023. Trail users will need to follow a 2-mile marked detours along Route 5s/River Road. Click here to see this section on the map.
- Cohoes, Albany County: A half-mile section of the Erie Canalway Trail / Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail between Lansing Lane to Johnson Ave will be closed through June 2023 due to a storm water and green infrastructure project being implemented by the City of Cohoes. Trail users will need to follow the marked detour on city streets. Click here to see this trail segment on the map.
- Albany-Rensselaer, Albany & Rensselaer Counties: The New York State DOT has closed the pedestrian walkway on the west side of the Dunn Memorial indefinitely for repair. Trail users should follow detour signage near Jennings Landing to utilize the temporary pedestrian path across to connect to the walkway and across the Hudson River. Cyclists should dismount and walk their bicycles. Click here to see this section on the map.
Champlain Valley Section (Albany to Rouses Point)
No closures at this time.
This page will be periodically updated to identify additional temporary trail closings.