Temporary Closures - Empire State Trail
From time to time, short sections of rail trails and canalway trails are temporarily closed – typically for 4 to 8 weeks or longer – due to construction activities on the trail corridor. Trail closures may be needed during rehabilitation of old deteriorated trail sections, or due to repair of bridges, culverts, or utilities that cross the trail.
Trail users will need to utilize alternate on-road routes to detour around temporary trail closures.
The following Empire State Trail segments currently are closed:
Hudson Valley Section (New York City to Albany)
- Northern Manhattan: The northern portion of the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway is closed near Fort Tryon Park for a NYC Parks pavement rehabilitation project. Trail users will need utilize the bike-ped crossing over Henry Hudson Parkway near W 181st St. to connect the detour and trailway. The on-road detour travels north-south on Broadway from 181st St. to Dyckman St., reconnecting with the existing on-road route on Seaman Ave. Click here to see this segment on the map.
Erie Canalway Trail Section (Buffalo to Albany)
- Macedon, Wayne County: A 0.5-mile trail section from Walworth Road east to Pal-Mac Park is closed due to repairs to the Ganargua Creek Aqueduct. Signage has been installed marking temporary on-road detours for through-trail bicyclists and hikers. Click here to see this section on the map.
- Solvay, Onondaga County: The Empire State Trail Segment that passes through the NY State Fairgrounds will close for the season from December 1 through April 1, 2023. Trail users should follow alternate signage to through the parking lot at the southwest corner of Bridge Street and State Fair Blvd.
- Oriskany, Oneida County: A section of the Erie Canalway Trail west of the Village of Oriskany is closed due to a trail washout and repair project. Trail users traveling between Oriskany and Stanwix/Rome need to follow a 2.4-mile on-road detour, on the shoulders of Route 69 (also named Rome-Oriskany Road) between Thomas Road and Reber Road. Signage has been installed marking the temporary on-road route. Click here to see this section on the map.
- German Flatts, Herkimer County: A one-half-mile section of the Erie Canalway Trail east of South Washington Street will be closed for Canal bank stabilization beginning Monday, February, 27. Trail users may utilize State Bike Route 5S to connect to the trail east and west. The trail is expected to reopen at the end of May.
- Pattersonville & Rotterdam Junction, Schenectady County: Two projects will close 4 miles of trail between Rynex Corners Rd. and River Road beginning November 2022. A CSX rail tunnel will be replaced at Leggiero Ln. and National Grid will be performing a powerline project between Scrafford Ln. and River Rd./Rt. 5s. Both projects are expected to be complete in the spring of 2023. Trail users will need to follow marked detours along Rynex Corners Rd. and Route 5s/River Road. Click here to see this section on the map.
- Cohoes, Albany County: A half-mile section of the Erie Canalway Trail / Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail between Lansing Lane to Johnson Ave will be closed through April 2023, due to a storm water and green infrastructure project being implemented by the City of Cohoes. Trail users will need to follow the marked detour on city streets. Click here to see this trail segment on the map.
- Albany-Rensselaer, Albany & Rensselaer Counties: The New York State DOT has closed the pedestrian walkway on the west side of the Dunn Memorial indefinitely for repair. Trail users should follow detour signage to utilize the temporary pedestrian path across to connect to the walkway and across the Hudson River. Cyclists should dismount and walk their bicycles. Click here to see this section on the map.
Champlain Valley Section (Albany to Rouses Point)
No closures at this time.
This page will be periodically updated to identify additional temporary trail closings.